Last Updated on 29/12/2020 by Info idea
Schizophrenia can be classified as a severe mental disorder in which people believe in fragmented or distorted realities. The very perception of the world they live in and the events taking place is entirely arbitrary and out of bounds for those suffering from this severe mental health disorder.
The most common signs are delusions, believing in fantasy, hallucination, and strange behavior that can disconnect and impair daily functioning. Various schizophrenia treatment centers in India can help you or your loved ones get back to life. But the journey is not going to be any easy, and there are certain factors that you need to understand.
Symptoms of Schizophrenia
The symptoms are usually the patient’s problems with overall thinking, behavior, and emotion in general. The prevalent symptoms might vary depending on the severity or degree of distortion caused by the disorder, but hallucinations, delusions, and disorganized speech are common. A detailed reflection of these elements is as follows;
Delusions are the thoughts or beliefs of the patient reflecting false or unreal realities. For example, the patient might believe that a stranger is approaching them now and then and want to harm them where there is no such person in reality. The beliefs of living in a fantasy world and having an exceptional ability that you don’t possess are some of the symptoms here.
Hallucinations in patients might often see and hear the things that are not there, such as the sound of someone approaching them or seeing different characters as out of a movie or TV series. The experience might change from person to person, but the general concept remains the same, although it is not real. But the patients with Schizophrenia would agree to disagree as it is a normal and common life-like experience.
derailed or disorganized thinking is also referred to as incoherent speech. Patients might not be able to communicate correctly or to their full extent, and the answer to some questions might not sound real or related at all. Putting together and then chattering unrelated words with no meaning and can’t be understood is among some symptoms.
Abnormal behavior is unpredictable agitation, being unaware of their surroundings, and acting on will no matter how bizarre or out of the picture it might look are some of the abnormal behaviors run down by Schizophrenia patients. The useless and excessive movement might also be among a few signs.
Negative symptoms refer to the inability to function appropriately; patients might not try to make eye contact and feel emotionless. Refraining from their engagement with daily life activities might also be among the symptoms of this disorder.
Causes of Schizophrenia
The exact cause of this disorder remains unknown to this date, but the professionals have a few assumptions that might lead to Schizophrenia that are described as follows:
- Genetics might play a role here, such as if someone in your family or one of the parents has Schizophrenia, then the chances of its onset in you are likely high.
- Changes in brain chemistry, such as trauma in early childhood or a few environmental factors such as viral infections, might become a leading cause.
- Naturally occurring chemicals in the brain might undergo some change, such as in the neurotransmitters known as dopamine and glutamate.
- Hitting off with substance abuse such as excessively using cannabis and other drugs might lead to the onset of Schizophrenia.
These are a few causes outlined by the professionals, and determining the real cause and current condition of the patient might lead to effective schizophrenia treatment.
Treatment for Schizophrenia
Schizophrenia is a lifelong disorder, and it is tough to tackle, but with effective treatment options, the conditions can be brought under control. Every patient’s experience will be different based on how they developed the disorder and what mix of treatment will work in their case. Following are some of the most potential options regarding schizophrenia treatment in India;
- Antipsychotic drugs; can either be used daily or every three months if they are to dose via injections. The amount of medicine that should be given will depend on the patient’s current condition and the severity of the disorder.
- Counseling; counseling is also a valid treatment option as it can help the person develop some coping skills to deal with their specific condition.
- Coordinated care; this involves various factors playing at the same time for the patient, such as medication, family care, education, and family involvement.
Despite the severity of the disorder and its complications, the condition is entirely treatable, and the patient can learn to cope with it on a better note. However, consistent support from the family and friends is required to develop the necessary resistance against this disorder.